Saturday, January 3, 2015

Stumbling Out of the Starting Gate

The first challenge of this journey will apparently be to see how creative and productive I can be while dealing with a very uncomfortable infection. I can often be only mildly affected by physical discomfort, but I also know what it's like to have my brain taken hostage by some nasty malady. I do believe I am through the worst at this point. I have been enjoying enough prolonged periods of comfort that I have been able to find some time and energy to work on this first song.

The working title is "Bring On the New Year." It's a cut time up tune something along the lines of Jerry Herman's "It's Today." The story will be about inviting all of life to come with this next trip around the sun. I've got some ideas about the general shape of the melody, and have a sense of how the 'A' will feel. I want the harmony to be distinctive and inspiring, with maybe even a modulation within the 'A' section. I've done a good bit of brain draining on story and lyrics, playing with lots of metaphor.

So, this is what the end of the beginning of a week feels like. I'd like to go to bed tonight with much more in the can. I've given myself permission to allow the deadlines to be fluid, but I sure don't want to start off behind. Okay, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment